Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chapter 1 and 2 entry

Chapter 1 and 2 entry

Another occurrence that springs to mind was when I learnt that petrol could burn. With a box of matches in my pocket, I ventured into my father’s garage in search of petrol I knew my dad kept for the lawnmower. After finding it, I proceeded to pour petrol onto the garage floor, but not before being creative, I did not merely nonchalantly pour out the gasoline but rather dispensed it in the form of letters making up a word, and I cannot recall the phrase. By doing it this way, it showed that I was gifted with artistic talent to my insubordinate streak, ha! With the fuel now on the concrete slab, I reached for a book of matches that were in my trouser pocket and with the can of petrol still in my hand; I struck a match and ignited the petrol. Little did I know that for as long as it burns it is able to stimulate off itself! Although I had stepped back from my original position where I had decanted most of this flammable liquid, I paid no mind to the container that was still in my hand. As I witnessed this wonderful display of burning light trying to read what I had written, I soon realised that the heat around my hand was more than anticipated. When I gazed down, reality kicked in with panic, as the container glowed with flames. Instinctively, I began to blow at the can profusely. This towering inferno remained alive, so I blew harder placing my face even closer to the flame, but still nothing! I then in a last resort began to shake the can copiously and miraculously the blaze went out. I recall the adrenalin pumping through my veins affecting my entire body with renewed vigour. I had been so involved with stifling the flame that I had missed the beauty of my inventive discovery, I therefore settled on repeating the process. Only this time I would pay more attention to my artwork and gather any further information I could from this experiment. Once again, I followed the same formula, pouring out the fluid and striking a match. Why is it that I take so long to learn and understand the dangers of life, in hindsight as I reflect back on my life this proved that we are creatures of habit and unfortunately I am just one of those characters that keep repeating the same mistakes. My chronicle will prove this! Even at the age of nine my temperament was well established, I see that now. The principles of life remain the same for all, with every action there is a reaction. Could it be that we are stubborn, self-willed and even possibly egotistical that these characteristics which are part of our nature keep us from simple understanding?

Maybe I should not generalize; nonetheless, these attributes were certainly part of my disposition. Once again, I am sure you have guessed it, the exact recurred. It was as if someone was watching a DVD, “the years funniest events,” except the title would have read “dumb, dumber and dumbest!” It was as if someone had hit the rewind button on their remote control, as they re-witnessed the same event, disbelief and astonishment clouding their eyes at the stupidity unfolding before them.

As the blaze was as fierce if not fiercer than my original attempt, the outside of the can alight with flames and as I attempted to douse them, they got bigger and bigger with its heat becoming more concentrated. Without any success, panic-stricken and not knowing what to do, I tossed the can away from me into the corner of the garage. My third attempt at burning petroleum flourished as the garage flared up with flames. My scientific experiment with flammable liquid gained a totally new perspective. Calculating what to do next, I closed the garage door, ran to the back of my garden and there I started to draw with sticks in the furthest corner I could find, in hope that I was dreaming but just in case I wasn’t I needed an alibi. This is concrete evidence that we are not taught to sin but born sinners; we have inherited this appalling condition from our father Adam. Here I was at the age of nine instinctively plotting a lie to get myself out of trouble. Not long after this I heard a commotion as Lena our domestic worker began to scream for help. Before long, help arrived with a red fire engine siren sounding. They proceeded to extinguish what was now a real towering inferno. I must have had guilt written all over my face, although at nine we are very capable of sin as I have just proved, we have not yet been skilled by it, that only comes with age. One look out of the corner of fireman eye and he must have suspected my guilt as a barrage of question then followed. But come what may I was sticking to my story, the consequence would have been far too harsh to handle. Although my defence was weak, I pretended to be drawing in the sand for a long time and because I had an alibi, although feeble nothing additional came of this disastrous happening. On arriving home my father then questioned me on what had happened and I regurgitated what I had told the fire-fighter. Whether he believed me or not I am not sure, however as he needed the insurance claim he did not press any harder?

Even as a youth, I was capable in devising a scheme that was very cunning to excuse me from accepting responsibility for my foolishness. I lied to get myself off the hook. Even though God knows all things before they happen. Once again God’s goodness and mercy spared me from possible disfigurement and even perhaps death. How I love you Father and thank you for all the goodness you have shown me throughout my life, I am forever grateful! Above all thank you for sending your Son my Saviour to pay the price for my sin, even this sin has been covered by His unselfish act of dying for repentant sinners. I have just proved that through this story that I am a sinner! But my sin has now been covered, or forgiven if you prefer by the shed blood of Jesus Christ my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment